I recently restarted my genealogy
obsession hobby. It turns out, it may just be the perfect hobby for me. I don’t really have much time for hobbies – except my “sleeping” hobby – but here I am nonetheless!
So what makes is so perfect?
- It engages my analytical side. I actually love poring over massive volumes of data looking for clues and piecing together a pattern that tells a story.
- It appeals to my anal retentiveness. It requires being very detail oriented, specific, and accurate. I find it comforting.
- It involves technology. I am not sure this is a fair one to include, however, as I can involve technology in just about anything.
- I get to track things. I like tracking things. I can tell you the daily temperature for 6 different locations in my house and on my property any day this past year.
- It overlaps my other hobby: photography. Although thus far, that has been more one of my “buy the equipment first” hobbies.
- I find the stories fascinating that I uncover, and they have a special resonance since they are not just history, but my specific history.
- It’s a whole new discipline to me, with formal techniques, and requires learning extensive domain knowledge to untangle documents and stories. I love learning.
The only thing that distinguishes this from my other (failed) hobbies, is that I haven’t purchased anything yet. I typically start hobbies with a credit card.
Of course, I’d be lying if I said I had never googled “portable microfilm scanner.”